Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Darkness Cloaked the Moon....A Christian Writers Guild Assignment

I wrote this poem as part of a Christian Writers Guild assignment that I had to send to my mentor. It needed to include two similes, two metaphors, one use of personification, one use of an apostrophe, an oxymoron, a paradox, three different forms of exaggeration, and it needed to be in free verse (don't make me explain all of that!). It also had to be divided up into stanzas, be at least 48 lines long, and be a story. Anyway, the following is what I ended up with:

Stanza 1

Darkness cloaked the moon,
As the bells tolled out my ruin.

Stanza 2

The stone about my throat,
As I struggled to stay afloat.

Stanza 3

Alas, if only I had followed his advice,
For my situation is not nice.

Stanza 4

For I met him,
And all on a whim,

Stanza 5

My heart was stolen from me,
And then all was too late to foresee.

Stanza 6

For his father liked me not,
And he tried to foil our plots.

Stanza 7

We would steal away in the night.
Meet each other in moonlight bright.

Stanza 8

Then on one night he said to me,
“Come. Let us steal away and be free.”

Stanza 9

Follow this plan we did,
And from his father’s face we hid.


Stanza 10

Throughout the land we wandered,
And with each step we pondered,

Stanza 11

What we had done ill,
For our supplies were nearly nil.

Stanza 12

And when he lay dying,
I grasped his hand and began crying.

Stanza 13

“Oh, my Romeo! Oh, my dove!
“What can I do to help you, my love?”

Stanza 14

He took my hand and looked at me long.
“Oh, my Esther, my Queen! I have done you wrong!

Stanza 15

“For I have led you from your home,
And into a fruitless adventure tome.

Stanza 16

“Here me now, it’s my last cry,
“Here me now and do apply.

Stanza 17

“Do not go back from whence you came!
“Take another and bear his name!

Stanza 18

“For I shall not live to see you again,
Beware my father’s trap, his den!”


Stanza 19

And with that came a sigh.
In my arms he did die.

Stanza 20

Follow his advice I tried to do,
But I found my affections hard to renew.

Stanza 21

So I made my way back,
Through a world doused in black.

Stanza 22

Black hovered before my eyes,
Deepening my grief and filling the skies.

Stanza 23

And every night,
In the middle of my plight,

Stanza 24

Like a warning noise,
Came the wind’s howling voice.

Stanza 25

Then one day, as the sun arose,
I saw the little house rows.

Stanza 26

And for the first time in a while,
My heart rejoiced like a child.

Stanza 27

But when his father saw me, he found a way,
To get me back, to make me pay.


Stanza 28

He cackled his malice,
His heart like a callous.

Stanza 29

He accused me of witchcraft,
But I just laughed,

Stanza 30

Until he took me away,
And made me pay.

Stanza 31

So here I am; what’s left of me,
And listen now to my last plea.

Stanza 32

The guilty do not take the blame,
Nay, guilt is the innocent’s shame.

Stanza 33

For the guilty never take the penance,
The innocent serve the sentence.

Stanza 34

Be careful where you go,
For in places a savory cruel life can grow.

Stanza 35

Be gone, O darkness! Be gone with thee!
Leave me now and let me be!

Stanza 36

Let me sink in love’s sweet despairing sea.
Be gone, now, and let me be!

No comments: