Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 1, June 7th, 2009



Dad loving Happy Feet in the airport!



Florida from the air


My room in Orlando at Wycliffe Headquarters

Note: Since I figured you all would be curious by now, and since I promised you a blog post on this subject anyway, I have decided to tell you, bit by bit, about my time in Guatemala! It was a truly amazing experience- one that God used to grow me closer to Him. Not knowing where else to start, I decided to post my almost daily journal entries (many thanks to Aunt Michele for the beautiful notebook!) along with pictures that go with what I am writing. I hope to write in a new one everyday, so check often! Anyhow, without further adieu, I present to you a series of entries I am going to title Guatemala through the Eyes of a Missionary!


Yesterday, I asked for a very specific thing. While seated around the table at Macaroni Grill, I asked if I could put the kids to bed. Right now, I am writing from the airplane on my way to Orlando, where I am scheduled to do some preparatory training before heading down to Guatemala to share God's truth with the people there.


The reason I asked to put the kids to bed was that I won't see them again for another three weeks. I already miss everyone terribly, but have resolved not to dwell on that as it gives Satan a foothold.

I will say that Brielle and I cried a good deal last night, though.

Today, I didn't even want to get up because it meant I was leaving everyone. Yet, as I stare over the clouds and down at the land below, I cannot but marvel at the greatness of our God! And I think that if He cares enough to care for this world, that surely He cares enough to keep me and my family safe as well as my team. He has given us this mission and provided us with a means to follow through. Surely, then, He will give us the victory, will He not?


Now that I have described to you some of my feelings, I shall proceed to describe how you, my dear journal, ended up in my hands. A couple of weeks ago, God laid it upon the heart of my Aunt Michele to go online and purchase you. I had no idea what kind (of journal) she planned on getting, so when you showed up in your beautiful leather, I about flipped. It has been a semi-dream of mine to own a Barnes & Noble journal for a while, so it was a God-sent gift!


It's also amazing how God gives support in such odd ways. Through both the money that came in and the notebook, I can rest assured that this is where He wants me...and what could be a better way to spend my summer than doing what He wants me to do?


I might be all alone on this airplane, without another soul I know. I say might because I am almost alone, but not quite. God is with me- the One Who loves more than anyone in the world is watching over me. And on that fact, I stand.


Later....


Arvid (our leader) dropped me off with Christina (Wycliffe member), and together with a couple of my teammates I headed over to Wycliffe's headquarters. My roommate, Katie Bowman, and I got settled in and talked before heading down to orientation. Watched The Gods Must be Crazy in order to draw awareness to different worldviews. Arvid and Nancy (his wife) told their story. By the time we were through, me and my teammates were all very tired, so we wlaked back to our rooms. Called Mom, and then opened a little note she had given me with Psalm 91 written on it.


We start our lessons at 8:00 tomorrow!


In Christ,

Brittany N. Goodrich





No comments: