Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9-1-1, Dedicated to the Catastrophe of 9/11

9/11. The day that changed it all. Before that fateful day, we were just a normal country, innocent bystanders of the Middle Eastern crisises.
Then, all of a sudden, Dad phoned from work as our school day was beginning. It was only about 8:00 our time, 9:00 in New York City. He was watching the news, and asked Mom to do the same.
For many minutes, our schoolwork laid neglected as we all stared in horrified silence at the smoke spiraling into the sky. We were already hearing rumors of important buildings being evacuated. Even at our young ages of 8 and 6, Brant and I could understand the tragedy of this day. Brant thought that Dad should leave work, while Mom and I tried to calmly explain to him the unlikeliness of Dad being harmed.
I recall kneeling on our couch and looking out upon the sunset. The news must have still been on, for I heard the words, "This morning, the world started out rightside up. Tonight, it is upside down."
That's so true, I thought.
Since then, I have often wondered why the terrorists selected that day to execute their plans. Could it, by any chance, have anything to do with the fact that the American emergency number (9-1-1) matched with the numbers of the date (9/11)?
Thus, I came up with this plot line. It's not fully developed yet, but I thought that I'd include the beginning here in memory of the victims of 9/11. So here it is, the opening words of 9-1-1!
"Mom and Dad? It's me, Sydney. I wanted to let you know that the plane has been hijacked. I wanted to say that I love you so much. Tell everyone that I love them. Oh, and Lindsay? I don't have any hard feelings because of what you said yesterday. It grieves me to know that I'll probably never see you guys again. If you call the airline authorities, tell them I'm on United Flight 175. Well, I guess this is-"
Seventeen-year-old Lindsay slapped the buton which stopped the answering machine. Stunned, her trembling hands grasped the keys to her car. She had to go tell her parents.
As she pulled out of the driveway, her mind lingered on everything that she and her sister had fought over. Was it just last night that Lindsay had called Sydney selfish just because she wouldn't buy her tickets to see her favorite band? She banged the wheel in her frustrated remorse.
She was still brooding over this as her car slowly ascended the parking garage reserved for the northern one of the Twin Towers. Parking on the visitors level, she stepped out. The elevator took her to floor 14, where both of her parents worked for a banking company.
Stopping at an office door, she hesitated to gather up the courage to confide such a tragedy to her mother. She rapped on the door.
"Lindsay! What are you....What's wrong?" Her mother's smile vanished.
"Mom," Lindsay's voice quivered. Suddenly, the ponds welling in her eyes overflowed into streams upon her cheeks as she choked out the message. "Sydney called to...to...to say that her plane has been hijacked!"
A deafening shatter was heard from above. The structure shook. Lindsay clasped her hands to her ears as fire alarms beeped out there message. Bewildered, she looked at her mother. The woman gulped, then slid a protective arm about her daughter and said, "Let's go outside."
"What about Dad?"
"Daddy's...a man. He'll know what to do."
The door to the nearest stairwell was already ajar when the duo reached it, and people were beginning to fill the narrow width of the stairs. Lindsay began the descent, followed by her mom.
Crash! The ceiling collapsed behind her.
"Mom!" Lindsay yelled, whirling around. Racing back to the pile of rubble, she shouted, "Mom?! Are you alright?"
"Yes, I am," came the voice from behind the debris.
"You just wait there. I'll get you out."
Just as Lindsay began shoving broken bits of glass, wood, metal, and other unidentifiable solids around, she smelled smoke. She heard her mother say, "The fire's at the doorway! You'll never be able to move all this in time. Spare yourself; leave me here!"
"But I-"
"I love you. I'm saying this for your own good!"
"I love you, too, Mom," the girl wailed. "I'm sorry for how rebellious I've been these past years. If I had another chance, I'd be better!"
"I hold nothing against you. But you must go now, or we'll both die!"
All of a sudden, Lindsay felt a hand grab her arm and pull her from her post next to her mother. Raising an ash-stained face, she saw her father. His stern gaze met hers. "She's right, Lindsay. Go!"
Gulping to swallow her grief, the girl nodded. Weeping, she fled down the steps and out into the sunshine.
The buzz of a plane flying overhead became audible. Gazing over her shoulder, she spotted the words United upon the side of the airplane, just moments before it crashed into the South Tower. Tears sprung to her eyes afresh. Sydney's life had just ended.

2 comments:

~ China Girl ~ said...

WOW BRITTANY!!! That was soooooo good! Gosh...I want to read the rest now! I'm so glad you have a blog, it's so cool! I love ya girl! Can't wait to see you guys in two weeks!! :)

Cindy said...

Great story, Brittany! Do you have more written already? I'm looking forward to keeping up on your posts!
Aunt Cindy