Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sweet Chariot- a sneak peak into the makings of it

A few of you have read my major work-in-progress (and when I mean major, I mean it will be finished before anything else), Sweet Chariot. It takes place during one of the most forgotten wars in American history, the War of 1812. Moreover, I don't settle for a book, I try for novels, which can be anywhere from 50,000-100,000 words, or approximately 400-600 pages (normal pages, not typed). A lofty goal, but I was excited and ready to reach for the stars.



The absolute first step for me is planning. I simply must plan everything from A-Z or I won't be able function. Yes, half of these ideas might not make it to the final draft, but at least I have a springboard.



Okay, so I don't really go from A to B and so on. Usually, I already know what A and Z are going to be, I just have to fill in the blanks. On a historical work such as Sweet Chariot I must find ways to incorporate history into it. Otherwise, this time period may not be needed.



After I have planned, I usually do one of two things. 1, I go ahead and begin writing (although technically I'm not supposed to), or 2, I do a character analysis. The latter is more challenging than it sounds. With every story, there is at least one character. It's the writer's job to make him imperfect and believable. By imperfect I mean those little likes and dislikes that make each and every one of us unique. Does he have a favorite food? What does she think about her nation going to war? I write all of these things down.



In Sweet Chariot, there are five main characters; four protagonists and one antagonist. I do a character analysis for each main character and for some feature players (characters, but not the leads). This can get challenging because I have to make my protagonist Luke different from Emily, but not too much like Caleb. Likewise, I have to find a balance between Emily's sweetness and her boldness to stick up for what's right.



My cast for this book is a motley crew of sailors, soldiers (both British and American), housekeepers, slaves, slave traders, wealthy plantation owners, a lawyer, a few French people, and a forgetful but kind resident of Baltimore. Each of their social statuses, the way they lived, grew-up, their beliefs, how they have been treated in the past; all must weave skilfully into a story, and each can affect the plot in a great way.



Another task that I have undertaken is research. For this book, I must know exactly what they wore, ate, what the different characters would talk like, what the religion of the slaves was, when they would dine, as well as military moves that were taken during that time. I even read a book on Francis Scott Key in order to get a grasp on what his character might be like.



So, as you can see, it can get a bit complicated. But, with time, I hope to produce something that will make it all worth it.

No comments: