Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Praise and Prayer

If you had a whole life to live, what would you do with it? That's the question (in so many words) that I have been asking myself lately. After all, I will be turning seventeen in March- I'm not exactly an adult, but I'm not exactly a child either. However, I am also old enough to know that God has put me here for a reason- and that reason should be as carefully and well planned for as possible.

As a result, my parents and I have begun a search for ministry experiences that will both suit my interests and help me in my career later on. After several investigations, we came upon Bread of Life Ministries, an organization stationed out of Dallas that has an orphanage in Romania. I knew they were looking for a grant writer, but when I finally read their missions statement, I was amazed; their mission was nearly identical to my own idea of what I want to do as a missionary! I clicked volunteer and submitted my application.

Many questions flooded my mind. Would they want a sixteen-year-old? Or did they need someone older? Was this even realistic, since I am in high school?

Well, early this morning, I received an e-mail from a man at Bread of Life ministries. He began by saying that his wife was a pioneer home-schooler back in 1982, when home-schooling was something no one did. He sounded thrilled to have found this common ground with me, since I had touched on my education mode in my application. In retrospect, I thank God for giving me the words to say!

In addition, he guessed by our area code that we lived in the San Antonio region, and said that he made it down there once a month whenever he was not in Romania. Since we are 300 miles away from Dallas, he foresaw the distance as a problem for when we must exchange materials. However, since he is in San Antonio once a month and we are in Dallas at least once a month during the hockey season, I pray that all will turn out all right.

Lastly, he told me that all I had to do was send him my address and he'd send me the Grant Writing Request Packet. He asked me to watch the videos and talk to my family about it, since this would be a family endeavour that I would lead. Then, I would respond to him with my decision.

As you might discern, I was super-excited- he was practically offering me the job! God had not chosen to show him the difficulties that would arise from hiring a sixteen-year-old, but instead the benefits had been placed in his head! I am greatly encouraged by seeing God work in this way!

But if you would also pray for me and my family...that we would seek God's will in this and that God will open and close doors as needed. All of us are a little worried about the time and pressure it might involve, so if you could pray about that, too, that would be great!

Thank you and God bless!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Miss Brittany, It blesses my heart more than you can imagine that you are seeking God's will for your life with such alacrity. We have seen just how faithful He is to lead us to His will when we seek it. I am praying, and will continue to pray, for your eyes to be open to see where He is leading you. I LOVE you!!