Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 14, June 19th, 2009


During our time together, the children discovered my notebook and were quite interested in it. Since I didn't want to lose the memory of this day, and to have something special form each child to look back on, I allowed them to doodle in the back of my journal, and then wrote their names under the picture. I thank God for this idea, since without it, I would probably not have preserved such a fond memory so accurately.




Sam plays ball with the boys


Itercelia, smiling for the camera as she models her barely-visible new bracelet

Mikala poses with her new necklace. This picture has to be one of my all-time favorites that I've taken.

One of my personal faves

You can walk out your door or fly around the world: there's no denying it, boys will be boys.

Hannah with our newfound friends


Mas foto!


Itercelia (left) and Candelaria (right) braid my hair (I hope I got the names right :P!)

Tres ninas y un nino (yes, Itercelia has my Bible on her head)
From left- Candelaria, Anita, and Ana

Me, Ana, Candelaria, Itercelia, Mikala, Anita, and Hannah

The girls at the washing basin

We sit here in silence, save for Raymond's humming, each occupied in our own activities. Two little boysstand outside, playing and chatting occasionally. People are beginning to congregate in adn around the iglesia, awaiting the start of the service. In the kitchen next door, Ester and her friends are busily preparing a meal, talking away in K'anjob'al as a radio sings sweetly of the wonders of our Lord.
I must say the expression of devotion to God is the most beautiful language in the world. It's universal, a joy understood in the hearts of fellow believers. In a way, it comforts me that our hosts know this happiness- it's a grace we all share- a peaceful rejoicing we see in each other.
Church has begun now, and my ears resonate with many Mayan voices singing to God. To think just a few hundred years ago these were daily sacrificing other humans. And yet here are their descendants, praising the one and only God in their own tongue. It is a true miracle for which God is to be thanked and I am privileged enough to witness.

The little girls behind me are now singing in their sweet voices. A marvelous sound. As I listen to this, the verse in Revelation which speaks of all the nations singing to God at the foot of the throne. Oh, imagine, dear reader, how lovely that will sound- sonorous song in speech separated by tongue, but united by the praise of the King!
I am back in my room now, nearly surrounded by the shouts of children at cheerful play. For about three hours now, K'anjob'al kids have been running around the girls' room, giggling and clammering for a photograph. Literally, I probably have more pictures of kids than the landscape. I've never taken so many pictures at one time in my life. If you look in the back, you can see some memoranda of our time together.

It all began with my idea to build a bridge across the language ravine and take Ana, a girl standing at the courtyard gate, to our quarters to construct bracelets. However, as I marched up the steps, I saw that there was more than just Ana at the top of the stairwell. Many pairs of big, brown eyes stared curiously at me. When I showed them the beads, their hands darted from their sides.

"Para su ellas," I said, informing the overwhelming ratio of boys to girls that these were for girls only. Grabbing the hands of two little girls, I started down to our room. The boys followed us.
By the time we reached the room, Hannah and I had four little girls with us. Using the twine packaged in the bead kit, we measured out a bracelet tailored roughly to the size of each girl's wrist. Each created a masterful adornment unique to herself, and we fastened them on. Before we knes it, we had approximately fourteen children playing in and around the quarters, the boys wrestling each other, playing soccer, and constructing odd photo poses after I showed them the playback feature on my camera.
One interesting game they played was like the Limbo except one must jump over the rope instead of going under, and one must bring the stick higher after each round.
After they went home, Hannah, Sam, Raymond, and I talked and then joined Ester and her friends by the fire. Thank God for that stove- otherwise we'd all be here with hypothermia!
Ester and her friend taught us some new wonds and then we ate dinner. We ended the night with her and the pastor, learning a few more words. I am very pleased that God made it work for Ester to come to San Miguel with us tomorrow, for I wish to know more of this language which I have given the opportunity to learn.
Well, shaquila (good-bye!)!
In Christ,
Brittany N. Goodrich

No comments: