Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day 9, June 15th, 2009


The Eiffel from underneath!



The Eiffel Tower


The National Palace

To commence this entry, I will begin where left off yesterday since I didn't tell you what happened.
Well, first off, God granted me an introduction to a world of new experiences with a new experience- an earthquake! Nancy, Sam, and I were sitting peacefully in the dining area, me writing away in you, dear journal, and the two of them reading. Suddenly, a gentle rolick fo the floor roused my attention and at first my brain countered it with confusion. I looked at Nancy, and she read my perplexed expression. Then, just before she confirmed my thoughts, it clicked. We were in an earthquake!

"Stop shaking things down there!" Arvid yelled from upstairs, and we laughed.
Having only heard of the disastrous ones that take many lives, I never knew that an earthquake could be so, well, fun! It was just a gentle rock, back and forth, almost soothing. I actually have sort of prayed it would come back!
After a short service of worship and Arvid's talk, we ate and headed over to the museum for the afternoon. Unfortunately, it did not open until 1:30, so we went shopping for an hour and a half at a local tourist's market, where we bartered Quetzales for souvenirs. Annie was kind enough to lend me fifteen Quetzales because I had left my money at the hotel.

The museum was amazing- whole rooms dedicated to Mayan artifacts. There was everything from huge salt making bowls to ball game antiques and huge stone relief carvings. Arvid gase us a personal tour, partially because God has privileged him with the chance to live with Mayan people while translating, and partially because very seldom would ther be any description in English of what we were seeing. Eventually, however, we began to group off and go explore what we could.
After that our driver took us downtown to see some sites and Arvid translated the speech he gave us. Downtown, we witnessed firsthand the clebration of Corpus Christi, where people come to sell and shop wares.
Did you know that there's actually two Eiffel Towers in the world? That's right. One is in France and the other in Guatemala City- given to the Guatemalans by the French. We drove right under, shooting photos to our heart's content.
That night, we met up with two missionaries who had translated the New Testament into Chorti, the language spoken in a tribal Guatemalan group. They snag for us, since their side specialty is music, and, for singing old-fashioned tunes, they sounded great!
In Christ,
Brittany

No comments: