Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Introspect- My First Nonfiction Work

The public is basically unaware of a potent yet oftentimes missing ingredient in the world of teenage factual literature. This market is strewn with would-be bestsellers written by adults who get what it's like because they've "been there". While doubtlessly any person who has grown and matured past the age twenty can truthfully say they have been through the teenage years, it does not exempt them from the question whether or not they recall it clearly enough to properly present it to the younger generation.

Above, I labeled books by such individuals as would-be bestsellers. Why do I coin this perhaps cliche term in relation to the inadequacy of their comprehension of the true subject matter? The answer is simple. It's that teens will be able to tell whether or notthe author understands what they are writing upon the same level as they do themselves. Frustrated, then, the reader is more apt to discard the book with disgust than apply the virtues to his or her life. After all, teens aren't generally expected to obey adults in the ordinary world, so why should they be expected to do so in respect with their reading?

The need for teenage authors is evident, and upon that basis I begin my first work of nonfiction, Introspect: a Look at the Inner You and Who You Were Made to Be. Introspect will be a Godly, Christian view on the inner qualities of a God-honoring, successful teen. I plan on writing it for a an audience ages 13-19, the majority of which will be Christians, but it will not be exclusive to non-Christians. It will work through issues such as confidence, inner beauty (and, for guys, the superiority of inner beauty over outer beauty), being right with God, purity,what God really says about the teenage years, diligence and hard work, the pursuit of dreams, etc.

I am extremely excited to embark on this newfound adventure God is laying before me. Being a teen myself, I have lots of questions that I often mull over in my room. Through the reading of my Bible, other books, and my own reflections on life, I have developed what I trust are considerably sound answers. With God guiding my hands, I hope to present these questions along with their answers to my peers, who, perhaps for the first time, are experiencing the same things I am.

No comments: